Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A stop away.


Never again will I be intimidated by the RTS bus system in Gainesville. Today’s blog celebrates my success in using the subways to navigate through Berlin on my own. It was a big day. 

While I was pleased that I made it 14 stops to Ernst-Reuter-Platz and wanted everyone else on the U-Bahn to be equally excited, I realized that to people living in Berlin, taking the subway is much like breathing, done easily and without thought.  

It fascinates me that while I go about my daily life at home, millions of people here do just the same. The lives of others really aren’t that far away from mine, fewer than 14 stops. 

A simple routine done my most Berliners was for me a foot and a few steps out of my box. 

I’m humbled by Berlin and its people and as silly as it sounds, its subways.


(A photo of busy, bustling Berlin.)      





                                                                                                                              Here is a map of the subway system in Berlin. Trust me - It will wind up written on, crumpled up, stuffed in pockets and purses, and held with a thankful hand. 
                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment